This was very quick and flavorful pasta dish. It reminded me of one of my pasta salad recipes that I make in the summer. I chose to use brown rice pasta but you can use whatever pasta you would like. It would also be great with shrimp instead of the chicken.
adapted from people magazine, Chris Crary
MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN WITH PENNE
2 (8-oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 (8-oz.) package whole wheat pasta
1 tbsp. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28-oz.) can italian diced tomatoes
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tbsp. halved, pitted Nicoise olives
Parmesan or Feta optional to top it with
1. Preheat oven to 350. Salt and pepper chicken breasts; arrange on lightly greased rimmed baking sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Prepare pasta in 6-qt, saucepan according to package directions, adding 1 tbsp. salt to cooking water. Cook until tender; drain well, cover and set aside.
3. Cook garlic in hot oil in large skillet 1 minute. Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Toss pasta with tomato mixture, basil, and olives. Top with diagonally sliced chicken breasts. Serve.
5. Top with extra fresh basil and feta or parmesan if you would like.
The way I made it, it was dairy free and gluten free with no cheese and with brown rice pasta.