Today I went grocery shopping right before lunch. I know it is not good to go shopping for food when you are hungry because you are more prone to buying impulse snacks and junk. I survived because I had a plan. I knew already what I was going to make for lunch and I knew I could make it quickly. I always buy a rotisserie chicken to use for stir-fry, soups, wraps, quesadillas, and so on, when I grocery shop. I made a wrap with fresh veggies that I had washed and cut last night for my salad, the rotisserie chicken, a healthy tortilla, and roasted red pepper hummus to give it flavor. I lightly grilled my wrap before I spread on 1 TBSP roasted Red Pepper Hummus. Layered in the chicken, jullianed cucumbers, yellow peppers, and broccolit slaw and rolled it up. This was a very tasty, crunchy, and satisfying wrap and would be great for on the go or to pack in your lunch.
Remember you can use whatever vegatables you prefer and whatever protein
Hummus is a very nutritious and filling snack. You can serve it with warm pita bread, fresh cut veggies or on a sandwich or wrap. It is loaded with fiber, protein, and vitamins and minerals. It also contains healthy fats. Even though it is healthy, you still want to eat it in moderation.
There are many types of hummus that you can buy or prepare. Here is a easy recipe from Vitamix
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 6 ounces (170 g) roasted red pepper
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- ½ cup (120 g) tahini paste
- 2 ½ tablespoon (38 ml) lemon juice
- 2 (6 g) garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 cups (720 g) canned garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 1 minute until smooth. Add water if necessary to keep mixture flowing freely through blades.
Don’t be afraid to make it your own. Flavor it however you wish. Remember if you need or want a Vitamix check out http://www.vitamix.com and enter my affiliate code 06-008336 to get free shipping ($25 value). Let me know if you have any questions. You won’t regret it!