Everytime I make soup, I make it different. Customize it to suit your tastes or what you have on hand. We have been gone for a week so I was able to make this with what I had on hand. If you keep good foods in your house, you will always be able to make something good! Watch this video for some of Drea’s Staples .
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 whole garlic bulb, minced (use less if you prefer)
- 8 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapeños
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can corn or frozen
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- I (14.5-ounce) can or box black beans, rinsed and drained
- Juice of one lime (plus more for garnish)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Himilayan Pink Salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (more for garnish)
- Ezekial, Brown rice, or corn tortillas cut into strips
- avocado for topping
- chopped jalapeños for topping
In a large saucepan or dutch oven, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and cook for about 3 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, and seasonings into the pot and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, lower heat to simmer and add your shredded chicken, beans and corn. Simmer 20 minutes or longer. Add fresh squeezed lime juice and fresh cilantro to the pot. Taste and add more seasonings and lime juice if needed. Add a serving of tortillas strips into bowl (this is optional and is great without as well). Ladle soup over tortillas strips. The strips will absorb the broth. Serve with fresh lime wedges, chopped jalapeños, diced avocado and more cilantro.
*If you eat dairy, top the tortillas with shredded cheese, then ladle your soup over that.
If your family is like mine, some like beans and some do not, cook them on the side. Add on top of the tortilla strips.
Garnish with chopped jalapeños, diced avocado, fresh cilantro, and a lime wedge